Thursday 26 January 2017

Day 27, Karijini National Park to Exmouth

Thursday 25th August, 2011 Day 27…
Odo start, 13,270 K's
Odo end,  14,002 K's
Distance Travelled.  732 K's
Accommodation, Ningaloo Caravan and Holiday Resort, $25 for an unpowered site…

I was up at 6:00am and packed ready to see the park by 6:45, Yesterday's ride in had me excited about what the park held.

Riding to the Gorges...



My first stop was Fortescue Falls, unfortunately the rising sun was already illuminating the top 1/4 of the falls, no photos worth anything here this morning, so it was a quick ride to Circular pool, nothing for me here either, damn i hope i have better luck. I jump back on the bike and head off for Kalamina Falls, beautiful red rocks and a lovely emerald pool, but again the sun had beaten me, it looked like the photo gods were not on my side today.

Here are a few of what i got...

Kalamina Gorge...

Knox Gorge...

Joffre Falls...



I quickly have a look at both Knox Gorge and Joffre Falls, but by now the sun was getting pretty high in the sky, so i decide to leave Karijini and head west back to the coast.

A quick fuel stop at 10:30 at Tom Price, 12.77 Ltrs @ $1.58.9 $20.30 for 238 K's and a Powerade and Cherry ripe for me. It was starting to heat up, it must be unbearable here at the peak of Summer.

I ride on heading for Nanutarra, i decide on the shorter route north from Tom Price, it is about 50 K's of dirt but saves quite a few k's. About 70 K east of Nanuturra the heat is building, i have every vent on my jacket and pants open but the wind feels like a hair dryer on Full!!



I finally arrive at the Nanuturra Roadhouse at 1:30 and fuel up, 15.93 Ltrs @ $1.83.9 $29.30 for 299 K's I checkout the thermometer next to the bowsers, 36 C, it must have easily been 40+ in the sun. I go inside for a drink, this is the highest price roadhouse yet, an absolute ripoff considering their location. I meet a guy cleaning his visor, i see his bike parked under the trees, he has ridden from Melbourne via the Tanimi and Gibb on a BMW R1150GS Adventure…. 2UP!!!!!!! He had to carry an extra 20 Ltrs of fuel for the Tanami. What a legend, i can not fathom how difficult it must have been with a pillion..

I head South for the Exmouth Turnoff, the peninsula is nothing like i imagined, from the map it looks tiny, i expected to be riding down a road with water each side of me with lovely beaches and cafes!! Boy i was wrong! all i see for 150K's is scrub, this is a big bit of land.

I arrive at Exmouth at 4:15 and fuel up, so I can make a quick get away tomorrow. The bike takes 16.98 Ltrs @ $1.70.8 $29.00  

My campsite...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.