Google+ Followers

Thursday, 26 January 2017

Day 34, Balladonia to Ceduna.

Thursday 1st September, 2011 Day 34…
Odo start, 17,365 K's
Odo end,  18,398 K's
Distance Travelled.  1,033 K's
Accommodation, Ceduna Big 4 Caravan Park, $28.00 For a Powered Site…
When i woke this morning i was glad i had chosen the Donga, it had been a wet and cold night. When i popped my head out of my room, the light was magic, checkout how good the campsite looked...



I was on the road at 7:00am, it was going to be a big day, i wanted to get to Ceduna if possible, but loosing 1.5 hours of daylight when i crossed the SA border was going to make it a challenge.

I couldn't figure out what the day had in store for me, the weather was fining up but there was a massive storm front on the horizon…








Just down the road, i came to the most photographed sign on the crossing…



There was not a whole lot to photograph on the early part of the day so i was able to cover some ground quickly. Planning fuel was a challenge for the first stop, there were quite a few stops before the border, the first was Caiguna, only 183 K's away, the second was Cocklebiddy a further 64 K's, the logical one was Madura, it was about 340 K's from Balladonia, I chose Madura, i just hoped i had calculated well.

As i rode past Cocklebiddy, my fuel gauge had just started blinking, i had 91 K's to travel, fingers crossed!! I buttoned off a little trying to conserve fuel. At 10am Madura came into view, as i cruised into the Madura turnoff, the bike stalled, i had ran out of fuel! Luckily it was a downhill gradient to get to the pumps.

At 10:00 am the bike took 21.55 L @ $1.93/L $41.59 for 344 K's From here on the fuel stops suited the bikes range. 

Next stop was to be Border Village where i would need to adjust my clock 1.5 Hours forward. I was having a great run until this…



$75.00 but no demerit points. I explained how i was trying to sit on 116 - 120 Kph as it was safer, at 110 fatigue and boredom was far more dangerous than speeding by 10kph, it is a pity that the rest of the country doesn't follow NT's lead of 130 Kph, but then millions in revenue wouldn't be collected..

I crossed the border into South Aus at 12:10 but this then became 1:40pm, i refueled the bike took 12.66 Ltrs for 196 K's, i forgot to document the fuel price but it would have been around $1.95 - $1.99 Ltr

There were a stack of bikes at Border Village, they were returning from the Black Dog Rally. I stopped for a snack and warned the guys about the Eucla cops.

The road now skirted the Great Australian Bight, i stopped for the first couple of lookouts. A guy in a Camper van came up and thanked me, as if i didn't get booked he would have, i had overtaken him just before the cops booked me, he was travelling at about the same speed as me.

Here is a shot from the lookout...



I finally reached the actual Nullabor Plain, i was amazed that it only ran 20 -25 K's East - West.



I refuelled at the Nullabor roadhouse at 4:00 pm, the bike took 12.01 L @ $1.99.9/L $24.01 Igrabbed a cold can of Coke as the weather was bipolar. One minute it was sunny with a fresh breeze, perfect riding weather, the next moment it was stinking hot with no breeze. I didn't want to stay there so it was time to push for Ceduna, 300 K's away

The shadows were getting longer as each K passed, i didn't want to ride at night, my GPS told me that Sunset was going to be at about 6:30pm, as i rode through Nundroo and Penong Ceduna was looking like the place to stay, i pushed on with eyes like saucepans looking for roo's.

I finally arrived at Ceduna after dark, it was 6:52pm when i refueled, the bike took 17.6 L @ $1.52.9/L $26.91 The guy at the quarantine checkpoint told me where the campgrounds were, the Big4 had a site available for $28.00 so i quickly setup camp then rode off to buy a Pizza for dinner, if you visit Ceduna, grab a Pizza it was stunning!

Thankfully this would be the last big day before i get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.