Thursday 26 January 2017

Day 20, Darwin to Litchfield National Park..

Thursday 18th August, 2011 Day 20…
Odo start, 9,601 K's
Odo end,  10,289 K's
Distance Travelled.  688 K's
Accommodation, Wangi Falls Campground, Litchfield National Park, Free…


It was a late start today, i left my room ready to hit Kakadu at about 10am, it was another fine clear day, for a southerner it was already feeling hot!

I had to stop for the obligatory  shot..



































































When i had taken the above shot i could hear the oncoming roar of a road train…



I didn't realise that the Ranger Uranium Mine was through Kakadu until i saw the sign at Jabiru.

I stopped for fuel at Alligator River at 12:19pm, the bike took 11.74Ltrs @ $1.64.00/Ltr $19.25

Whilst fuelling up the couple next to me were having problems finding the fuel door release in their hire car, 3 of us looked for 5 minutes before we realised it didn't have one! They were travelling from Kilsyth. It seems there are a lot of southerners travelling up here..

At the park information desk i asked about Twin Falls, i was told that there was very little water at the falls, this made it easy for me to decide to give them a miss. As i was riding towards Jabiru there was very little to see, i assume you need to be into wetlands to fully appreciate Kakadu. I rode through Jabiru, then Hit the Kakadu Hwy heading for Pine Creek, and then onto my final destination, Litchfield National Park.

Kakadu had left me very unimpressed, granted i didn't get off the bike, obviously there is some spectacular stuff there, i just didn't see any of it!

In stark contrast Litchfield was beautiful as soon as you entered the park. I rode straight to Tolmer Falls, hoping that sunset suited photography there, i made it just in time to capture some great shots…






























































I then had to miss getting the sunset as i needed to find a camp site before the roo's came out to play. I rode to Wangi Falls campground, about 7 k's further up the road. This campsite rivaled Adels Grove as the best spot on the trip so far, great amenities and a stunning spot where you could stay for a couple of days at the base of a stunning pair of falls, and the best part was the swimming hole was safe, only freshwater crocs.

I finished the day with a can of baked beans, and a can of VB donated by my fellow travelers.

A perfect end to a great day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.