Thursday 26 January 2017

Day 36, Port Augusta to Heywood

Saturday 3rd September, 2011 Day 36…
Odo start, 19,160 K's
Odo end,  20,055 K's
Distance Travelled.  895 K's
Accommodation, Heywood Motel, $75 for one of the best budget motel rooms i have had…

The day started with a lovely cup of coffee, catching up with friends before hitting the road. Home didn't seem to far away. 

Last night my friend asked which way i was riding home, i said through Adelaide then down to Mt Gambier. He and his wife suggested a scenic ride through Laura and the Clare Valley, initially i discounted this as an option as i had seen enough "Wine Country", but this morning i re considered, Jeff is a Driver and knows good roads, so we sat down and ran through a good run into Adelaide.

With the days ride planned, i hit the road at 8:15am. Last year when i rode to the Flinders Ranges i didn't realise that the ranges ran as far South as Port Augusta. The view from here was as good if not better than most of the sights i saw further North, i don't understand why This part of the Flinders Ranges is not promoted more.

Checkout the scenery, oohh and the roads are great!!



After a couple hours of riding on stunning roads, it was time to refuel at Clare. At 10:40am i refuelled, the bike took 10.53 L @ $1.43.9/L $15.15 for 200 K's

It was now time to get through Adelaide, the day was warming up and the traffic was pretty heavy. I was looking forward to the ride through the Adelaide hills, and my final stretch back into Melbourne. 

At Tailem Bend, i turned South heading along the Coast. I refuelled at Meningie, the bike took 14.1 L (PULP) @ $1.53.9/L $21.70 for 296 K's

My first sighting of the Coorong, my GPS showed an altitude of -2M to a maximum of -5M below sea level.



I skirted The Coorong, looking out on Encounter Bay, until i reached Kingston. It was here i turned onto Adeleaide Road (B1) and took the quick way to Millicent. From here it was a short run to Mt Gambier. 

I rolled into Mt Gambier for fuel at 5:00pm, the bike took 17.02 L (PULP) @ $1.56.9/L $26.70 for 306 K's It was time to decide whether to stay here, or get back into Victoria. I decided i sitll had over an hour of reasonable light, so i hit the road heading for the border.

My goal was Portland, and the light was fading. Once i crossed the Border i lost 10kph because of our draconian ideas on speeding and another 30 minutes as i re entered eastern standard time, but i was home, it was a thought i always had when i was driving Semi's Interstate, whenever i crossed back into Vic i was HOME. 

My night ended sooner than planned at Heywood, the bugs were unbelievable, i simply couldn't see through my visor. My GPS gave me 2 options for accommodation, The Pub or caravan park, i headed for the Pub. Unfortunately the pub had no rooms! But they suggested the Motel, It appears Sensis is not very good when it comes to POI's on the GPS. 

I headed out to the Motel and was confronted with a note on the door, saying the office was unattended and gave me a number to ring. I duly rang the number, was told the price $75 and where the key was hidden and could i leave the money in the room! It is great to see that trust is alive and well in thew bush. I was surprised to find one of the best budget motel rooms i had been in, a 32" LCD TV was the icing on the cake, i could sit and watch qualifying for the Misano MotoGP race. A great way to end a big day.

My Visor looked like this..


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.