Google+ Followers

Thursday, 26 January 2017

Day 15, Atherton to Normanton...

Saturday 13th August, 2011 Day 15…
Odo start, 6,667 K's
Odo end,  7,372 K's
Distance Travelled.  705 K's
Accommodation, Gulfland Motel $50 for a room…

The day started early, up and in the showers at 6:30am. I then dropped in to see Tony, one of the people i met last night, he has a very well setup, Patrol Cab Chassis with custom body and roof top tent. I was packed up and on my way at 8:40 I hit the Kennedy Highway headed for Ravenshoe. 

Here is one of my handy motorcycle travel tips…. Clean yesterdays jocks, socks and t-shirts whilst having your morning shower, then strap them onto your luggage : ) 100kph clothes dryer… Who said men can't multi task.



Blasting along the road this morning i see the sign for Millaa Millaa, it is only 15k's off my route, i instantly decide to re-visit the Millaa Millaa Falls, when i was here last week it was pouring down, so i wanted the chance to take a few more shots.  then took the scenic drive to Ravenshoe from Millaa Millaa, and enjoyed 23K's of this…



At the end of the road was "Windy Hill"…



































































I wonder why they named it that?




I had brunch at Ravenshoe, QLD's highest town! 

From now on i was basically heading West : ) I was making good time and had actually passed my first triple Road Train. I saw a driver/revive free coffee sign at the Undara Lava Tubes, so decided to have a quick look and grab a cuppa. A 15K ride in on really nice sealed road was a joy, but when i arrived there was no free coffee and you had to take a 2 hour guided tour to see the lave tubes! I had no intention of blowing 2 hours, so i checked out the pics in the office, grabbed a gatorade (it was starting to hot up) and got back on the road.

I fuelled up at Mt Surprise,18.27Ltrs $27.75 for 369 K's the twisty roads took their toll on the fuel economy! 

The roads were ever changing, from 2 wide lanes to one single lane, i wasn't looking forward to meeting my first oncoming semi.











I was originally planning on getting to Croydon due to the morning sight seeing. I arrived there at 4pm, the sun was setting, the roos were starting to appear, do i push for the extra 158 K's and get to Normanton… YUP

I leave Croydon at 4.15 after dropping in and speaking to the Info officer, a great old guy who gave me some possible campsite locations. At 5.45 i am checked into the Gulfland Motel.

Sunny Normanton..




























































I am glad i took the advice from the engineer who fixed my foot peg, whilst riding into town for dinner, 2 fully loaded triple road trains carting cattle were coming from the Burke Development Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.